Tuesday, May 3, 2011


So, Sarah had the idea that after the wedding, she'd ride down the water slide in our hotel while still wearing her dress. A "Trash the Dress" sort of thing.

We weren't sure if the pool would be open, though, so we asked the manager the day before. She said she'd get back to us. I got a call from her in Meador's room the morning of the ceremony.

Manager: I put a lot of thought into your request last night. I slept on it. And I just don't think I can let you do it. I know the chances of something going wrong might be slim, but it would be too horrible if something did happen, so I'm afraid I just can't let you. I'm really sorry.

A small disappointment, but it was amusing to imagine the hotel manager spending an evening of honest soul searching about letting a woman in a wedding dress ride her water slide.

And who knows, maybe her dress would have gotten caught on some twist in the slide, leading to some horribly tragic News of the Weird wedding day story. I mean, it was the same pool that I mysteriously scraped my hands bloody in. Maybe that pool is evil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not donate it or sell it instead of ruining it?

Arnie said...

It was already bought used, and apparently had been taken in several more times than advertised. So, it looked amazing on the day, but according to Sarah it's "Frankenstein inside" and she doesn't want to sell something like that to anyone. Maybe she will eventually donate it. She does still have it, untrashed.

Anonymous said...

That makes sense! Initially I was confused and horrified. There is a great organization called Glass Slipper Project that helps teenage girls who can't afford it get dresses for prom. They take donations. The dress is lovely but not so bridal that a girl couldn't repurpose as a prom dress, maybe she could donate it to to them.