Wednesday, November 17, 2010


I don't think I've mentioned yet during this blog that I also have a podcast. It's called Stupid Nerd, and I interview friends about nerdy things they're into that I don't know much about. The Green Lantern. The Twilight books. Cryptic crosswords.

Now that the wedding is over, I've had time to record some new episodes. For this week's podcast I interviewed Ellis, who is into Live Action Role-Playing. Once a month he goes out camping in the woods and pretends to be a gypsy fighting elves, trolls, pirates... that sort of thing.

In fact I found out that part of the reason he and Thea missed Sarah and I's wedding was that he was off LARPing that weekend. Which is a pretty decent excuse if you ask me.

Here's an excerpt from the podcast:

Me: Do you think Thea, your wife, would ever go and do this with you?
Ellis: No, of course not.
Me: How does she react when you talk to her about it?
Ellis: I don’t talk to her about it.
Me: [laughing] You don’t talk to her about it at all?
Ellis: She used to talk about how cool it was that I could talk to her about it, but I noticed if I told her more than one thing… she would eventually tell me that it was bothering her and that she didn’t want to hear about it.
Me: Really? Literally that it was bothering her?
Ellis: Yep. She was like “I don’t want to hear about it.” I mean, you’ve got to understand, you spend a weekend… I went into a town that was overrun with zombies. We freed the town and killed the zombies. It was super cool to be a part of that. It was really really cool. And then… there’s no way I can make that cool when I talk about it to her.

You can find all the episodes of the Stupid Nerd podcast (including this one, episode #33) here or you can search for "stupid nerd" in iTunes.

No comments: