Wednesday, September 8, 2010


I called my Grandma Anne today, who, sadly, won't be able to make the trek from her nursing home in Ohio for the wedding this weekend.

She sounded tired and out of breath, making it difficult to understand exactly what she was saying. But I think she had a tough time understanding what I was saying too.

Me: Hey Grandma!
Grandma: Oh hello. It's been a long time since I've heard from you.
Me: Yeah. I know. Sorry. We've been busy with the wedding. But we got your card, it was very sweet. And we're heading out of town tomorrow.
Grandma: Out of town? Where are you going?
Me: Uh... we're going... to the wedding...
Grandma: You're getting married tomorrow?
Me: No, no... Saturday... but we're heading out of town tomorrow...
Grandma: You're getting married Saturday? Why [hard to understand]?
Me: Um... we're going out of town for the wedding...
Grandma: I didn't know [hard to understand]...
Me: Yeah. Saturday. You sent us a card.
Grandma: Who is this?
Me: It's Arnie.
Grandma: Oh! Arnie! I thought you were one of Kenny's kids. He's getting married but I didn't think it was this weekend. But you're getting married. I know. I keep your card up on my dresser so I can think of you and pray for you.

Later...

Grandma: Do you have a house yet?
Me: A house? No. No.
Grandma: I hear there are a lot of house to buy.
Me: Maybe after the wedding we'll start saving up for a house.
Grandma: You can have my room.
Me: [laughing] That's not a bad idea.
Grandma: No. You wouldn't like it. I don't like it. Sometimes I stare at the ceiling and think, "Is this me?"

1 comment:

tamara said...

I'm really sorry she won't be able to be there. Thinking of you guys, hope your day is super awesome.