Thursday, September 23, 2010


I don't know if it's the fact that the wedding is over or that this is the longest vacation I've taken in quite some time, but I find myself walking through the jungle or sitting on the beach thinking, "This is my life now."

Not this as in being married to Sarah, this as in... I guess... being on a honeymoon. Romantic massage overlooking the jungle. Outdoor shower. Howler monkeys swinging by the yoga hut. This is my life now.

It's not a "I could certainly get used to this" vacation feeling. I'm thoroughly enjoying the trip, but this occasional feeling I catch myself feeling is more of a resigned, "this is my life now and I'm just going to have to adjust" feeling. "This is it. This is who I am now. What is past is past. And now it's just me and my wife and this infinity pool and these free drinks. Ambient music in the morning, piano music at night. Hyacinths blooming outside my window. In time this will seem normal, it's already starting to. This is me now."

We fly home tomorrow.

1 comment:

Walking Into Pictures said...

They were hibiscus. And miss them.