Monday, September 20, 2010


I was always a pool kid. I grew up swimming in pools, and although I still love to swim, natural bodies of water make me nervous. And the ocean?! Yikes.

We went snorkeling today.

Sarah: Should we be worried about sharks.
Captain [who was essentially a 25 year old kid from California with a giant tattoo reading, "September 18, 2009: Without Jake, Brad and James I Wouldn't Be Alive Today"]: Don't worry. If a shark attacks you you'll never know.
[smattering of nervous laughter]
Captain: No. The reason we swim here is that there haven't been any shark attacks in THIS bay.
Crew Member 1: You want to see? You want to see what a shark bite looks like? [points to Crew Member 2] Show 'em. Lift up your shirt.
Me: Oh no.
Crew Member 2: [silently lifts up shirt to show a blanket of scars along his left side]
Crew Member 1: [smiling] Shark bite.
Sarah: When did it happen?
[Crew Members 1 and 2 speak to each other in Spanish]
Crew Member 1: 5 years ago. [laughs] And the crazy bastard still works in the water. A shark bite me? See you later.
Captain: Okay, here are your goggles and fins...

We swam for a while, with me trying to act cool, until I noticed the crew cleaning fish on the boat and throwing the bloody guts into the water. That's when I decided to get out.

No comments: