Friday, March 4, 2011


Mom and I dancing to 'I'll Be There' by the Jackson 5.

Now, 'I'll Be There' is 4 minutes long, easily the longest of the official wedding dance songs. Longer than 'Ugly Love.' A lot longer than 'What a Wonderful World.' I almost didn't pick the song for that very reason. Too long.

Not that the mother of the groom dance wouldn't be special, but the third dance in a row that people have to sit and watch shouldn't be that long, and I knew that my mother, not one to seek out the spotlight, wouldn't want to be up there for that long.

So, I told Nick, graciously DJ-ing, that he should fade the song out halfway through. Two minutes of dancing.

I'm pretty certain this picture captures the moment, about three minutes in, that my mother said, "You told him he can fade the song out, right? He doesn't need to keep playing it," and then we both glanced over at the music set-up to see how much longer this was going to go on.

We danced the whole four minutes.

No comments: