Friday, March 11, 2011


I've been doing physical therapy for my knee, a couple times a week. Nothing too difficult or painful, just time consuming.

The therapy staff is very nice, making a point to ask me about my week, even if there's not much to tell. Asking about my improv shows. My job. Things I'm passionate about but don't necessarily know how to talk about easily.

Physical Therapist: (behind counter talking to one of the assistants as I walked in the door) Arnie.
Me: Morning.
Physical Therapist: I was just wondering about you... how many of the thoughts that you have during the day, would you say you never say out loud?
Me: Um... I don't know... it varies throughout the day.
Physical Therapist: Okay.
Me: Although, I suspect you think I have more thoughts than I do. Plus, I'm not much of a morning person. I guess I talk more later in the day.
Physical Therapist: So we should get you in for some evening sessions.
Me: Maybe.

The other part of it, though, is that there's a lot of counting involved in my physical therapy. Do fifteen of these, break for ten seconds, do fifteen more. The therapists are rarely intrusive, but when they do take a moment to chat me up, I'm usually desperately trying to keep track of where I am.

"So, do you have shows every week?" 4,5,6... "Uh, yeah, every Saturday and then, uh..." ...7,8... "Tuesdays..." ...12,12,13...

Is this a common skill that I lack? Counting and talking at the same time? Because it's hard. Harder than any of my actual exercises.

And I had this thought when the therapist asked me about how much I share during the course of a day, but I didn't say it. I just kept it to myself. So, she may have a point.

1 comment:

Sienna Christie said...

How was the result of your therapy? I bet your therapist was pretty serious with her suggestion to have evening sessions just to make you talk. Haha! But anyway, I think the reason why you had a difficult time counting and talking was because you were not enjoying what you were doing. Were you perhaps thinking of something else?

Regards,
Sienna Christie