Saturday, March 12, 2011


I was talking with some married friends about how to manage expenses as part of a married couple.

Me: We keep track of our individual expenses and then once a week or once a month, compare and see who owes who what, but we're thinking about changing it.
Friend 1: To a method that's less like you're college roommates?
Me: Well what do you do?
Friend 1: Us? Oh, for us it's a fucking free-for-all.
Friend 2: My wife keeps track of everything. And then we have a tight budget. She tells me how much of our money I can spend.
Friend 3: We have a pool of money. Although my wife also has an emergency fund in case she ever has to leave me.
Me: What?
Friend 3: Just in case something crazy happens, like, if I get hit by a bus and my personality changes. It is a little weird. I mean, I don't have anything like that for myself.
Friend 2: You better watch out.
Me: If you get hit by a bus... there's going to be a period where you're different. Two days in is she going to cash out and take off?
Friend 3: It is a little weird. I mean, I don't have anything like that for myself. Should I have something?

1 comment:

Walking Into Pictures said...

Regardless of what we do, we must reign in our cookie spending. It's fucking astronomical.