Thursday, June 10, 2010


This is Sarah's engagement box. The box I opened to ask her to marry me. Sarah cleaned out her purse recently and this box ended up sitting on the coffee table for a few days.

Sarah: I thought I needed it in my purse in case I needed to take off the ring, to have a safe place for it, but I don't take it off, so I don't need it.

So, this box has been floating around the apartment without a permanent home. Now it's on top of my dresser. I'm not sure if Sarah put it there to say, "You figure out what to do with this."

It seems like a keepsake, right? If the symbol of our engagement came in this box, is the box a symbol as well? I had the ring delivered (sending it out of state saved some money), so this box came in another, slightly bigger box. Should I keep that box too? (In fact, I think I do still have that box, tucked away in a closet somewhere.)

Should we buy a safe and keep our valuables' boxes inside the box the safe comes in?

1 comment:

Devereaux said...

It's only a keepsake/symbol if you want it to be. Justin wrapped my ring in Kleenex and hid it in a box of paperclips for several months. We didn't keep the Kleenex, and I'm not particularly attached to the paperclips. And that has no impact on how I remember the proposal. :) P.S. Congratulations!