Tuesday, August 24, 2010


Another picture from my parents' wedding album.

When Sarah and I were shopping around for photographers, looking through lots of portfolios, the main thing we agreed on was that we didn't like "effects" photos, pictures that were obviously photoshopped with new elements. For example, we saw a picture where a bride and groom were walking down a pier and walking next to them, headed in the other direction was the same couple, only slightly transparent. I'm not sure what it was supposed to mean, maybe their old lives fading away as they started a new one together, but mostly it just looked creepy, like they'd just brushed past their own ghosts.

I think it's that these types of pictures just don't seem real. And sort of silly.

And yes, this picture of my parents is kind of silly too, but I like it. Maybe because it's an in-camera effect.

Or maybe it's just the nostalgia factor. Maybe someday all those current black and white pictures with splashes of pastel pink or blue photoshopped in will seem quaint and retro instead of tacky and everyone will wonder, "Why can't we get pictures that look like that anymore?"

No comments: