Sunday, August 29, 2010


Our ceremony isn't particularly religious, so there's the question of, what should we have for readings? Or should we have readings at all? We decided the answer to the latter question is "yes," and the answer to the former question is, "uhhhh..."

Neither of us have favorite passages of writing about love and/or marriage and what it all means. I was an English major in college but I've never been much of a quoter of great works. Or even not so great works.

After writing that last paragraph I sat here and thought, "Okay, think of one quotation. One line from something." The only thing that popped into my head was Elvis Costello's lyric from 'Angel's Wanna Wear My Red Shoes' that goes, "I said I'm so happy I could die/ She said drop dead then left with another guy." Not exactly inspirational.

Of course, there's the internet, but finding something unique on the internet is actually quite challenging. Most of the ways the internet works these days centers around getting you to go to the same places everyone else goes. If everyone types "unconventional wedding readings" into Google and visits the same few dozen recommended websites, most of which suggest all the same readings, just in a different order... how unconventional are they anymore?

(Maybe any reading not from the Bible could be considered "unconventional." So, you could type "unique wedding readings" into Google and get the same result, bringing the irony a little more sharply into focus.)

No comments: