Sunday, July 4, 2010


Spent the 4th with a Canadian. Sarah's friend Catherine is in town.

She talked about recently being in a wedding that included handfasting, a ceremonial tying together of the hands of the bride and groom. Just as they were getting ready to enter the church they realized that the special scarf for the tradition was missing. Catherine offered up the scarf she was wearing.

Catherine: Afterward I found my scarf lying on the alter and I put it back on. Someone said, "You know you have to give that to them now. It's their wedding scarf. You have to give it them." I wish I'd known that before. It's my favorite scarf.
Me: Uh oh.
Catherine: I'm wearing it now. It's this one. I mean... I WILL give it to them. I'll ask them if they want it and if they do I'll give it to them. I did wash it. I hope that's okay.
Me: That's a good question. Can you accidentally wash the wedding ceremony off?
Catherine: This is a good scarf.

No comments: