Tuesday, July 20, 2010


Sarah and I have gone back and forth on what to engrave in our wedding rings.

For a while we thought we'd go with, "exactly what you deserve," which was a joke between us. But you'd hate for an engraving like that to someday become bitterly ironic.

I finally settled on "love youuuu." When I text Sarah I usually throw in some extra U's. Sappy? Maybe. But I liked it.

I spent an hour trying to decide exactly how many U's to use. The predictive text on my phone always makes it 9 U's. Even setting aside that I'd be paying by the letter, 9 U's is fine for a text but seems like too much for an engraving.

Here's the "love youuuu" I jotted down to try to figure out how many U's look best. Four seemed about right. (You can see the little dots I used to help me count the number of total letters. Not sure why dots are easier to count than letters.)

When I called, though, the jeweler explained that the band we picked out for Sarah is a little too thin for engraving. "I mean, we could DO it, but it's going to be really really tiny. Not great."

So, we'll just have to figure out something else to engrave, somewhere down the line.

No comments: