Monday, July 26, 2010


Sarah had a hair test and came back incredibly excited about how she was going to look. This mood quickly changed when she started looking at the pictures she'd taken of herself.

Sarah: I look like a stroke victim. My face is weird.
Me: If you don't think the haircut is flattering--
Sarah: It's my face. I can't change my face. One side droops. My eye droops. My mouth droops. This side of my face droops.

Somehow this led to us staring at eachother's faces, both of us pointing out where we thought our own faces drooped.

Me: See, my eye here is a little lower than this side.
Sarah: No it's not.
Me: This side of my face is just a little lower. It is. But, it's natural. No one's face is perfectly symmetrical.
Sarah: Your face in fine. Look here. Look at this side of my face.
Me: I don't--
Sarah: YOU SEE IT! I can tell! I can tell you see it!
Me: The side of your face isn't any more different than anyone's would be.
Sarah: I can see you can see it!

Finally Sarah decided to show me the pictures. She hid her hair, though, using strategically placed Microsoft Word document windows.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Me: This? This is the terrible picture? The way you were talking I thought you'd maybe look a little weird. You look good. There's nothing wrong with your face.
Sarah: [laughing nervously] You can see it.

1 comment:

Jon said...

My theory is this: our idea of what our faces look like is based on us looking into the mirror. Thus, our view of our faces is opposite of what everyone else sees. Everyone's face is slightly asymmetrical. But when we look at pictures of ourselves, this asymmetry is more obvious to ourselves. So, say my nose is 2cm curved away from the centerline of my face. This becomes my face norm, and then when I see a picture of myself, to me my nose appears 4cm off from where it should be. I hope I'm making myself clear.